Most people might not be aware that gum disease, or periodontal disease, is a big problem in this country. In fact, estimates by the Centers for Disease Control point toward more than 50 percent of Americans over the age of 30 having some form of the disease. Unfortunately, many people aren’t even aware they have gum disease. Even more unfortunate is the fact that many who know they have gum disease are not receiving any treatment for it. Many simply don’t realize that gum health can have an impact on overall health and may even put them at a higher risk for serious disease.
The good news is that if you do have periodontal disease, it can be treated—especially when we discover it in its early stages. Make an appointment with Dr. Amy Trujillo if you suspect or know you have gum disease. Regardless of how far it has progressed, Dr. Trujillo can treat your periodontal disease and she can help you keep your gums healthy. If you are suffering with the effects of gum disease, it is important to know that you are not alone and that you can stop its progression before you lose your teeth and bone.
Signs You Might Have Gum Disease
If you have any of the following symptoms, you might be suffering from gum disease:
- Bad breath that lingers, even after brushing
- Swollen, red, and tender gums
- Bleeding gums after brushing your teeth
- Teeth that are becoming loose
- Teeth that look elongated because gums have pulled away from them
- Pus that is forming between gums and teeth
It is important to remember that gum disease often is present without any signs of symptoms, which is just one of the reasons why it is so important to see your dentist twice each year for examinations and cleanings. If you are unsure of whether or not you have gum disease, schedule an examination with Dr. Trujillo.
Save Your Teeth With Timely and Effective Periodontal Care
Gum disease has been linked to other serious health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, and some forms of cancer. It is important that you get treatment immediately to control gum infection, restore your dental health, and minimize risks to your overall health. Dr. Trujillo provides periodontal diagnosis and treatment including the following:
- Root planing and scaling—This is a special deep cleaning process that eliminates bacteria and calculus from hard-to-reach areas. It controls periodontal pockets and stops gum disease from spreading. It is most effective when the presence of gum disease is identified early.
- Periodontal maintenance—For those patients who have gum disease, periodontal maintenance is recommended. Bacteria and infection are removed from above and below the gum line to keep gums healthy and to help prevent additional damage to the gums.
Patients have been visiting our well-established practice for many years to keep their smiles functional and beautiful.